Saturday, June 7, 2008

Laura Veuve


Hello everyone,

I'm about to finish my third year teaching math at Leadership High School, a small charter school in San Francisco. This year I taught Algebra and AP Calculus AB, plus I'm an advisor to a lovely group of soon to be seniors that I've been with since they were freshmen. (The photo is from our ice skating trip last year.) Before this, I taught ESL and math through the Peace Corps in a tiny village in Namibia, just north of South Africa, which was quite low-tech. I've been slowly ramping up my technology use, including the new Geometer's Sketchpad programs I just got from DonorsChoose, so I'm excited to learn more. Also, we are in the process of redesigning our entire math curriculum (textbooks, structures, pedagogy, everything) to make our classes more project-based and outcomes-based, so I'm really hoping to get some good ideas and tools from the program and everyone this summer.

Outside of school, I'm a reader, an eater, a consumer of trashy television, an unskilled but enthusiastic dancer, a coffeeshop chiller, a movie and music fan, a park lay-abouter, and someone who's really excited for summer to begin. I'm from the Bay Area, but I went to Oberlin college in Ohio and I spent a couple summers working in upstate New York. I've also been lucky enough to travel and spend time in lots of places in Central America, Southern Africa and Europe.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all and working with you this summer!

Laura

1 comment:

Gayle said...

Hi Laura,
I just got back from South Africa and found many technology problems, but I imagine it was better than Nambia. Fortunately, we did not experience load shedding during classes.