Saturday, April 12, 2008

Paulette Smith


Technology is exciting and inspiring. I use the computer in many ways in my class and for home. There are so many other ways I would like to engage with computers in the classroom. I am interested in digital story telling, student blogging, and a school web page. This past year I drove down to Beverly Hills to attend the CUE conference. It was a lot of fun and I learned how to create an iMovie of my class for a project.

I am a teacher at Garfield Elementary in Oakland, Ca. My entire career has been teaching the fourth grade. I love it! I have a class from heaven this year; they love school, love to work and are very interested in the world around them. I am the field trip guru at my school. I think 4th grade is the last opportunity for the students to see the community they live in so I've taken them everywhere.
I wear many hats at my school. I plan and run all of our school assemblies, I am the science trainer for newly adopted FOSS curriculum and science site coordinator, I am the Grade Level Chair, and I oversee the two school gardens. I also participate on many councils, boards, and committees.
This year I planned many very exciting school wide events: Biz World Market Day, Career Connections Day and Garfield Pump It Up Day.

I am raising four boys ages: 18, 17, 13, and 7. My sons are all going through their own changes. I feel very lucky because they are all in school, respectful and they have good friends. I worry about their future in a world economy that wont be kind to them as they branch off on their own. As African-American men they have an even tougher road ahead. My oldest son attends Laney College and plays on their football team. My second oldest loves his cooking classes. My youngest son is a self proclaimed artist and is a very outgoing personality. My middle son loves old school music and going to the gym.

I look forward to meeting and dialoguing with all of you!

Kind regards,
Paulette Smith

No comments: